Post #19 My top 5 coolest state flags (other than the Texas flag)

Welcome back to Elliott's Quarantine Quintet!

As a special treat as I begin my seventh week of EQQ, I am including images on a blog post. I have confirmed that all images of state flags are in the public domain (even though, since I am doing this blog for fun and not making money from it, I would likely qualify for the fair use exemption).

N.B. I am not considering the Texas flag for this quintet. In my opinion the power, beauty and grandeur of the Lone Star flag is unrivaled.

1. Michigan

 

I am not normally a fan of overly busy flags, but Michigan's flag is definitely an exception. It contains two moose, an eagle and three different Latin Mottos. Pretty epic.

2. Indiana


Not only is the torch spreading light a great symbol, but I have learned through a little background research that there is symbolism in the starts on Indiana's flag. The thirteen stars in the outer circle represent the thirteen colonies. The five stars in the inner circle represent the next five states to join the United States. And the star right above the flame's torch represents Indiana, which was the next state to join the Union.


3. Colorado


Colorado's flag incorporates a C. Nothing else to say.


4. Louisiana


Apparently, the pelican has been the state symbol of Louisiana for a really long time, and I am sure there is some extra symbolism is the mother feeding her babies. Plus, Union, Justice and Confidence are three solid ideals.


5. Alaska


As I have stated in previous blog posts, I am a strong believer that there is beauty in simplicity. Alaska's flag contains the big dipper and the North Star, both of which are beautiful and convey the idea of northernness for the northern most state in the Union.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #24 My top 5 names for females of animal species

Post #4 My top 5 United States mottos

Post #28 My top 5 portmanteaus