Post #16 My top 5 funniest football referee signals

Welcome back to Elliott's Quarantine Quintet!

Let me come right out and state that I have a lot of respect for football referees at every level. I definitely could not make calls nearly as accurately.

Since all the signals are standardized, referees don't have much choice in the matter, but some signals are funnier than others.

The fact that referees almost always look extremely serious while making these signals adds to their amusing nature.

    1. Roughing/Running into the kicker

I find watching a referee do a mini kick with a straight leg incredibly amusing.

    2. Ball juggled and no possession

There's just something about the way that referees move their hands up and down for this signal.

    3. Ineligible receiver downfield

It's just a grown man putting his hand on his head. Why is it so funny?

    4. Loss of down

Both hands on the back of the head with elbows flared out, yet, it is not a provocative gesture.

    5. Illegal substitution

Same signal as ineligible receiver downfield, but with both hands on placed on the head. I'm not sure why two hands on one's head is slightly less amusing than putting one hand on one's head.


How well would you do on a test about the meaning of referee signals?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #24 My top 5 names for females of animal species

Post #4 My top 5 United States mottos

Post #28 My top 5 portmanteaus