Post #2 My top 5 most clever Pokemon names (Generation I)

Welcome back to Elliott’s Quarantine Quintet!


As a child, I thought the names of Pokemon were just random cool names, but, as I grew older and wiser (but kept playing Pokemon games), I started to realize just how clever some of the names are.

Although Pokémon Generation VIII came out in 2019, Generation I remains the Golden Age of Pokémon.


    1. Ekans I don’t remember when the exact moment was for me, but the realization that the name Ekans is snake spelled backwards is the epitome of an Aha! Moment. It's hard to beat that simple brilliance. Also, Ekans’s evolution Arbok is cobra spelled backwards but with the C switched to a K.     2. Arcanine


At some point during high school the word arcane, meaning rare ad mysterious, came up in one of our vocabulary units. It was at that point that I realized that Arcanine is a portmanteau of arcane and canine.     3. Kangaskhan


I always knew that Kangaskhan looked like a kangaroo, but it was only after I learned about the great Mongol leader Genghis Khan that I realized this name is another brilliant use of  portmanteau.     4. Primeape


It combines two words (prime and ape) to describe the powerful monkey-like Pokemon, but the name also sounds like the word primate.     5. Marowak


When pronounced, the name becomes an elision of the combination of the word marrow (a reference to its skull helmet and bone club it holds) and the onomatopoeia whack,  "I want to be the very best, like no one ever was." What are your favorite Pokémon names?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #24 My top 5 names for females of animal species

Post #4 My top 5 United States mottos

Post #28 My top 5 portmanteaus