Post #8 My top 5 FBS college mascots

Welcome back to Elliott's Quarantine Quintet! You’ve got your share of Lions, Tigers and Bears, but there are a bunch of unique mascots among Football Bowl Subdivision schools.

 
    1. Demon Deacons (Wake Forest University)

I am a big fan of this oxymoronic name of the mascot for the university in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.     2. Ragin’ Cajuns (University of Louisiana at Lafayette)


Not only is the rhyming name of this mascot a lot of fun to say, but I like the mental image of a bunch of Louisianians running around and going crazy (kind of like how I picture Mardi Gras in New Orleans).     3, Thundering Herd (University of Marshall)


Although there is a bison on the football helmets of the team from the university in Huntington, West Virginia, a thundering herd of just about anything sounds intimidating. Apparently, the term can also refer to a computer science problem that I don’t really understand.     4. Mean Green (University of North Texas)


Long-time readers of this two-week old blog will know that I am a fan of rhyming names (see #2 in this list), but I had to look up what a Mean Green is (are?). The name of the mascot for the Dallas (technically Denton) school appears to originate from four-time Super Bowl champion and member of both the Professional Football Hall of Fame and College Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene who played there in the mid-1960s. Greene grew up and went to high school in Temple, Texas. Don’t mess with Texas!     5. Chanticleers (Coastal Carolina University)


I like the name of this mascot of the Conway, South Carolina school mostly because nobody (i.e. me) has a clue what a Chanticleer is. Apparently it is an old way of referring to a rooster, derived from Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.


Safety always comes first, but I don't want to even think about the prospect of no college football this fall!


What is your favorite sports mascot?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #24 My top 5 names for females of animal species

Post #4 My top 5 United States mottos

Post #28 My top 5 portmanteaus